After weeks of work, our project has concluded, with amazing results and great feedback. Our project, called the Ernie Cap, is an Asthma Inhaler cap thats goal is to save medicine and prevent other problems associated with Inhalers and Asthma. We called it the Ernie cap because our teacher Ernie helped inspire us when we were stuck in the beginning of our project. Through multiply surveys, as shown in the photos below, we found that many people had the issue where the medicine capsule in there Inhalers would press against their backpacks and waste the medicine by dispensing it. They also found that there medicine capsules would fall out of the Inhaler when they took it out, which could be very dangerous or even fatal during an Asthma attack. We decided that these were our two main problems, and our solution was to make and 3d Print a cap that fits on the upper part of your Inhaler. Our research found that there wasn't a single company on the Inhaler market that actually sold their inhalers with a cap on the medicine capsule, so we decided to use 3d design programs to build one. We used a problem called TinkerCad to measure and build a cap. We added multiple teachers like rubber band attachments for extra safety, and also a clip for attaching the Inhaler to your pants. We designed the cap to fit on the Inhaler size that was the most common, but we also have multiple 3d designs waiting to be printed if we need another shape or size. Luke who had Asthma in our group, used the cap and became our ‘beta tester’ and found that Inhaler cap worked very well for him and fixed all the problems that he had with his Inhaler. Next we had the forum, which was the main presentation to the public about our idea. We got extremely good feedback from everyone at the forum, and we even had many people who wanted for us to make them custom caps for their Inhalers. We also had a few people who wanted us to try to get a patent for our idea, which really made us feel that they liked our project. In conclusion, the CBL project really gave our whole group the chance to use our strengths and improve our weaknesses!
We believe this will be one of our final blog posts and our entire group loved this project. We were brought closer together and we really enjoyed working with each other. We printed more caps and are distributing them during a presentation we are giving as well as the pamphlets Jasper is making. I can't wait to use this in my everyday life since I have asthma and I use an inhaler. Our poster is printing and are pamphlets are about complete. Tomorrow we will print a lot more caps. This project has been going really well for us and we hope that maybe you could tell some of your friends and family with asthma about us. Hopefully we can help them just like everyone else in our community with asthma!
This week we made tons of progress towards our goal. We printed multiple prototypes and found one that works perfectly and fits on the inhaler. It works super great and everything is going super well. Luke and Drew have begun to work on the poster and I have started making a pamphlet to distribute to our community. The cap is looking great and we are going to give it to a few people to see if they like it. We also did a survey to see who had Asthma in our grade. It was very useful!
Showing our solution to the world!
This is our third week in this project and we have successfully 3D printed our model. Unfortunately the Ernie-Cap was too small so we are printing another one. We are certain that this model will fit. We are also working on different models for different types of inhalers. We `have decided to cancel our fundraiser for we do not need it anymore. We have been provided with paper to that we can print and fold into brochures instead of buying booklets and printing on them. We are going to give a small box with to people who have an inhaler with everything they need to educate them on Inhalers and Asthma. We hope it works well!
This week is our second week of being in our group. In the beginning of the week, we hit a stump and weren't getting very much done, but recently we have found an idea that can benefit our community members who are affected by Asthma. Our idea is the inhaler cap. It is a little device/cap that you can put on your inhaler. It makes sure that the medicine cylinder doesn't fall out of the inhaler and no medicine is wasted when in your bag. This Tuesday we are going to start to make your inhaler caps in the 3d Printing Studio. We are then going to choose a few volunteers to test them over the period of a week and measure the affects and how much the testers were benefited. If it works, we will make more and distribute them to our community members. We also want to give everybody a booklet that describes how Asthma works, and also how they can treat themselves and stay healthy. We are going to do a fundraiser soon (Date not determined) to raise money to pay for the booklets!
The Beginning!! Group: Drew, Luke and Jasper
Today we started working on creating our blog site. Our group is focusing on exercise induced asthma, which is a kind of Asthma that is triggered by exercise. We chose are project on exercise induced asthma because we believe that people shouldn’t limit their exercise and health just because they have a certain disease. Everyone should be able to be healthy if they want to. Also, one of our members has Exercise Induced Asthma and we want to help him and everyone else. We aren't sure yet what our resolution to this problem is, but it will have something to do with helping our community members with Asthma fight the disease. Our goal is to help people get back to exercise and be healthy who have Asthma! Let’s come together and make a difference!